Test Principle and Concept Diagram
To determine whether a part passes or fails inspection, Yamaha helium leak testers inject a pre-configured amount of helium gas into a workpiece after it has been placed in a vacuum chamber for inspection, use a helium gas detector to measure the amount of helium leaked into the vacuum chamber, and compare the detected amount to a set leakage amount. Our leak detectors are used in many automotive component and household electronics applications, including aluminum wheels, drum containers, air conditioners, and fuel tanks, because of their high performance and high reliability. Other systems, such as those using sniffer detection methods, are also available.
Vacuum chamber method and sniffer method
Vacuum chamber method
- Overall leak judgments can be made with confidence
- Quick leak measurements
- Eliminates human error
- Easy to automate
- No need to counter helium pollution
- Directly learn the exact location of leaks
- Equipment requires little space
- Affordable equipment cost
Detectable leak rates
- Actual leakage rate of 10-8 [Pa・m3/sec] or more
- Actual leakage rate of 10-6 [Pa・m3/sec] (pinpoint)
Concept diagram for Helium leak tester (chamber method)
Accurate detection of small levels of leakage
The precision of Yamaha's highly-reliable leak tester is 100 to 1,000 times that of tester that use the conventional bubble sensing and pressure decay methods.
Also, compared to tester that use the sniffer method, which requires time for probe operation during testing, Yamaha leak tester can provide speedy and thorough product testing.
Direct line system leads to shorter inspections
Yamaha's many years of FA experience have been put to use in combining direct lines and conveyor robots to save energy and speed up production.
Fail-safe system helps prevent mistakes
Fail-safe mechanisms such as automatic defective product separation, marking, process confirmation, and interlocks reduce operator workload and help to prevent mistakes.
Low running costs
The retrieval rate of the helium (He) used as a trace gas is high, at approximately 85%. With automatic management of pressure and concentration, Yamaha Helium leak tester provide both reliability and cost-efficiency.
Easy operation and maintenance
Yamaha leak tester feature advanced control systems that make operating them simple. In the event of a mistake or malfunction, the controller, which has a self-judgment feature, enables quick and precise recovery measures.
Reasons why helium (He) is used as a trace gas
Yamaha leak tester use the vacuum chamber method and primarily employ helium as a trace gas. The reason that helium (He) is used as a trace gas is because it has many benefits, such as those listed below.
- Helium is safe for people and the environment.
- Helium is non-combustible.
- Helium molecules are small and have low mass, so it is easy for them to leak from even very small holes.
- Helium gas usually only exists in the natural atmosphere and in metals in small amounts, so it is easy to tell when helium leaks from the object under test.
- Under ordinary circumstances it is difficult for helium to become liquid, so it will not block holes.
- Helium is an inert gas, so it does not cause metal to rust.
Product Catalog (1.58MB/PDF)
This page lists contact information for inquiries helium leak tester.
- +81-53-467-3601（FA Division）
- Contact us
Appropriate leak testing methods differ for each product to be tested. At Yamaha Fine Tech, we offer appropriate testers for each kind of product.
Test Principle and Concept Diagram
Here we will provide an overview of the basic principles of leak testing and inspection to help you find the right method for your products.
We will guide you through the process of getting a new leak tester from ordering to design through production and delivery.
Here are some examples of workpieces for leak testers.
- Air conditioning and freezers
Product sample videos
Here you can watch a video of a leak tester for aluminum wheels that will help you better understand what Yamaha Fine Technologies' leak testing products are capable of.